Friday, April 30, 2010

Journey from KIIT to The Place to B!!!

Hi friends,

Surprised to see me blogging ?I don’t think you should be surprised ,after all tweeting and blogging have become the most prioritized activity of all biggies needless to say more often it results in hot shot controversies. So do you think controversies are good? If your answer is negative then do spare a thought on ‘how would the media industry of India run’. Have pity on them and support controversies .However, I am not here for making controversial statements. I just want to pen down some of my thoughts and gratitude in these final moments of our college life .

Let me rewind 4 years of my life to 2006 when I was writing my +2 boards’ alongwith various engineering entrance examination and wanted to make it to ‘mecca of engineering’. But alas! I couldn’t. Don’t you all agree to the fact that our most cherished desire doesn’t come true? Anyways, I had made it to one of the college which was considered very good by my sister.(Note:-she was doing her engineering from Orissa).So, It was decided by my parents that I was going over there. I had objected but finally I had made my mind to get admitted in that college due to STEVE JOBS. What???? Yes! You heard it right buddies. I thought that when JOBS could attain such heights without being a graduate then just think what I could achieve as I would be a graduate doesn’t matter if it’s not IIT. So, decision was made and I came to KIIT (KING of all IITs ) as quoted by our chancellor on orientation day.

There goes a famous saying “Whatever happens, it is for good “and certainly these 4 years were great. Got to meet with a pool of persons each unique in his/her characteristics. I must accept that while joining KIIT, I had thought that probably I would be the best student over there but alas! I was 110% wrong. This gave me a chance to learn from them and atleast try to match their standard. Meanwhile, In my first year I was more concentrated in traveling and visiting places. By the end of 1st year , I had almost visited all places in and around Bhubaneswar. Thanks to Nachi bhai(a 4th year guy).

First year flew away very quickly and then came the senior era. I switched over to computer science branch although I didn’t want to but again it was my family decision and I had to. But this too happened for my good. I should accept the fact that CSE guys were more diverse and talented when compared to my IT mates (No hard feelings). Second year was real fun and I made friendship with some of the best souls of our campus. Although there was a rough patch in which I missed some of my good friend and I still regret for it. And this was the time when I met Ranjeet pratap singh , a very helpfull lad who talked a lot( people had named him bhokal ),he was the one who talked about MBA,IIM and other related stuffs. He used to say that ‘That is the place where even the so-called-talented-IITians toil to get into’. This statement charged me a bit to accomplish the undone. However, I am a very lazy guy who gets charged initially at a rapid rate and then gets discharged too at the same rate (contact Ansh for more details).

Time passed on and we were in our pre-final year and placements became the talk of the college with the ghost of recession looming over global economy, all hopes of companies like Microsoft visiting for campus placements shattered. I had to take a decision and made my mind that I would be going for an MBA. I still remember that day very well when I went to BMR (Ranjeet @ PagalGuy) and asked about various MBA instis…which included IIMs,IITs,JBIMS,NITIE(top 20). It was mid of july and he said me that one needs 99.XX percentile to be on safe side to get a call with all sectionals above 90. My adrenalin rushed into my blood and I had made a plan to prepare.

Days passed on and I started to prepare along with Sambit Rath and Shruti. Soon, season of mock came and you would salute my so-called-serious decision of doing MBA by knowing the fact that Sambit and I had solved the first mock paper together in exam and just managed 96%ile. Mocks passed on and I varied between 99(just once ) and 80%ile. I had dropped the thought of doing MBA (IIMs a long back ago) when I saw my CS mates securing consistently in 99 region. But it was Sambit Rath, a Very fun loving creature who used to boost my confidence after a bad mock quoting about some guy Who had cleared IIM but had never scored above 90 in mocks.(I still doubt a bit but the way he used to present, it used to boost my confidence). Talking to BMR on various issues(my problems related to CAT) helped me a lot. The way he used to suggest remedial measures, he instilled a lot of confidence in me and I thought I could bell the cat. However in my terms, F*** the cat. For the benefit of all our class mate this member of PG DreamTeam came up with various communities and blogs exclusively for us, this made me visit PG and learn various things from there. I really owe you big time SIR.

Finally, on the D-day, I rode on lady luck and was able to achieve the feat which even I hadn’t imagined.A perfect BLACKIS. I was certainly on seventh heaven after a disastrous performance in XAT(92%ile, 59.36 in VA).However, I felt a bit bad because some of my friends who deserved it a lot more than me were marred by Prometric. Just after a day ,I had to leave for Goa as the trip was planned out already and I wanted to go. 10 days of sheer fun!!!! And when I returned I saw interview letter of IIM A C L all three on 23rd march itself. The top most management institutes of India had scheduled the interview and they expected the same person to be present at 3 different locations at the same time.(A challenge to Prometric, guess who is better?*pun intended*). No points for guessing that BMR was again the person to be contacted in such suffocating scenarios. And so started the interview season, I will write about all my seven dates in next posts. Thus began the wait for results.

The wait was killing and It started on a bad note with C rejecting me. It was expected after the 6 min interview. I was still hopeful for A,I and had lost hope for B,K,L completely (wouldn’t have joined S). But on 26th all my hopes shattered as A had rejected me after saying very good in the interview. 27th was really a tough day and I was talking to anitesh about creating history 7 calls and 7 rejects. On 28th result of B was declared (at 9 am) and I didn’t see it till 11 am thinking of a reject but guess what.. I was in.I will be in a “Place to be!!!”. Evening brought a sweet surprise with L too calling me in their prime list.Rest of the results are awaited !!!!

So friends, this was my journey of KIIT which has played a very important role in shaping my life. A special thanks to BMR,Sambit and Shruti for helping me to achieve this feat and to all my class mates who have played their part. I guess you might have got bored after reading such a long note but I had already told you I got 59.36 in VA in XAT. So, I guess you will consider the fact and will pardon me. We hardly have 10 days left before our Bachelors end. Therefore, party hard guys and gals and certainly it was a Journey to remember for each and every one of us.

KIIT Rocks!!!!

Signing out !!!
Shubh
(class of 2010,KIIT )

11 comments:

Sweta Jamini said...

nice wrk.. keep rolling!!!

SAMBIT RATH said...

great yaaar..keep rocking......u deservet this...

Shruti said...

u really deserved it!!!
i know how much u wanted this...and i really thank god for making ur dream come true.....
and thanks for making me a part of ur blog.....
:)

Ranjeet Pratap Singh said...

First thing first,

congratulations on the getting the ticket to the place to "B" and on starting the new blog.

Hope this is just a start in the series of awesome things happening to you.

Now, I think I've been hyped too much in this post and I don't deserve it. More-ever I do have a name (may be not a very nice name but still) which is more human-friendly than "ThE bmr".

Shubham Jaiswal said...

@ Ranjeet...

Sir,this is the way I think :-)...hmm and used BMR instead of your name because you are well known with that name(in forums).From now onwards,it is Ranjeet for me. :)

mamta sinha said...

Hii Shubham …..
Plz don’t mind …..your blog is really very long… ..but very interesting journey from KIIT University to “B”. Congratulation!!!!!!!!!!
I have confusion…do u really think that KIIT is King of IIT’s …?????
your blog is also very nice and standard one (keep blogging)….if you don’t believe just see my blogs (kuch bhi likh diya hai  ) ………

Shubham Jaiswal said...

@ mamta....

Yup! I agree that it's long and a bit monotonous but it was really difficult to club these 4 years of experience into few stanzas.I wanted to write a bit more but called it quits else you all would be slapping me hard ;).
And regarding ur ques about KIIT, do not make serious comparisons...Being a part of KIIT in these final moments,I think we all should be obliged to the experience,friends and various moments of triumph alongwith debacles that it has provided and transformed us into graduates.KIIT will be with us throughout our life..so lets us all feel like kings and queens... :)

Regarding your blog,you have done justice to your thought process and it flows with emotion.Thereby, attaining the goal of blogging!!!!

Thanx and do keep blogging :-)
Cheers!!!
Shubh

Anitesh Singh said...

vry touching 1...i wud hav loved to read the full version... hope u have it saved it somewhr...

n btw, IIMB is nt the limit 4 u dude...keep that in mind!!!
all these r just ladders 4 the 'beyond the sky' success that u hav to achieve. After all, wo dialogue hai na...

"Sab SHUBHAM JAISWAL thode na hota hai..." ;)
(Other readers don't take this srsly...)

n it was rly nice knowin u...n bein such a close part of ur life... :)

Shubham Jaiswal said...

@ anitesh,

Thanx dude..

yevlempy|Harsh Verma said...

Well done :)

Shubham Jaiswal said...

@ harsh

Thanx buddie!!!


PS: Harsh is my DPS class mate.I owe him a lot of samosa's(of school canteen):P.